2011/06/15

P.P.Pasolini

I made my first film, Accattone, with a lot of feeling. I chose my style by following my own feelings. Technique is a myth. The technique of filmmaking is very easy. Perhaps there are classifications and restrictive prosody, so there may be difficulties in editing but these difficulties are not as terrible as we tend to think they are. Sometimes it’s enough to follow the instinct of the rhythm in the editing. InAccattone, I tried to simplify the technique. I shot the film very simply. I used close-ups and very few camera movements. I had to do that partly because I knew nothing about technique. I didn’t even know what panoramic meant. I didn’t know there were different lenses. The reason for my simplicity wasn’t my battle with technique. It was deeper. It’s my way of seeing reality as a sacred apparition. Sacredness is simple.

No comments: